The Beachmere Inn has been an independent, family owned and operated inn for the past 75 years. We are a Maine family and take great pride in our State! You can't help but notice nature's beauty all around us, be it the pristine sandy coastline, the craggy shoreline or the forests and fields just a short distance inland. Our family is committed to do what we can to help preserve this beauty and our planet.
We hope that you, our guests & visitors, will help us in this effort.
In the past we have implemented energy and waste saving measures such as the use of compact fluorescent bulbs in all guest & public places. This alone makes for a substantial energy savings and reduction in our carbon footprint.
** Beachmere Inn Recieved certification by the State of Maine's DEP department as an Environmental Leader in the State of Maine in the spring of 2009. We earned enough points to be in the Top Three of all businesses in this program.
Energy Saving Measures
- Solar Panels have been installed for Thermal Hot water for over 32 rooms as well as in our employee housing building.
- Solar Photovoltaic Panels have been installed for production of 5 - 8% of our energy needs.
- As of February 29th, 2012 over 24,287KW has been produced by solar power a savings of 41,287 Lbs. of Co2.
- Compact Fluorescent bulbs will be in used in all lighting
- Cold water laundry processes are being used to save electricity by eliminating the need to heat hot water for the laundry systems through Ozone technology.
- Energy star appliances are chosen first for any appliance replacement
- High efficiency heating & cooling units were installed in 2008 for Beachmere West
- Additional insulation was installed in the exterior walls and ceiling for better building envelope efficiency in Beachmere West.
- In 2007 we installed efficient, timed irrigation for the lawn and drip irrigation for our planting beds, in 2008 that effort has continued.
- High efficiency Low E Eagle windows are installed in Beachmere West (2008) and were used for all the window & door replacement at Beachmere South (2008) and in the Victorian (2000 - on going).
- Since 2000 we have been replacing old inefficient oil burners with Buderus boilers in the Victorian, South and West buildings.
- Only environmentally safe chemicals will be used for cleaning
- New laundry Ozone technology is being used to enable us to wash in cold water and use less chemicals.
- Bed linens and towels will be changed every other day, or upon your direction
- We will purchase in bulk, eliminating pounds of plastic and cardboard from our purchases
- Recycling bins are placed in all guest rooms and recycling centers are available around property to capture plastic, newspaper, cans and glass.
- We participate in the Clean the World soap recycling project. "Clean the World accomplishes its mission by collecting, sorting, and sanitizing discarded soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions and gels from participating hospitality partners. Clean the World recycles guest room hygiene items at its Recycling Operations Center (ROC) and distributes them for humanitarian purposes with partnering nonprofit organizations. The items are distributed domestically and to children and families in communities around the globe."
- We will use recycled paper for all printing in house & by our outside printer
- We will uses non sensitive papers for our scrap paper
- Our photocopier machine is programmed for energy efficiency
- We recycle our ink jet cartridges
- When we built our new West wing, we added increased blown in insulation to the exterior walls and ceiling to increase the R value to make our building envelope as efficient as possible.
- We chose to use PVC Koma trim products and CertainTeed FiberCement Siding materials on our buildings and renovation projects. Both are proven to be longer lasting, more durable, require less painting and have recycling content and certifications.
- Our windows are Low E, high wind resistant, for better effciency We use longer lasting materials such as solid surface materials for countertops in public and guest room spaces. Kholer was chosen for our fixtures for water conservation and low use.